Thursday, August 2, 2012

We survived the first ten days...barely, but gratefully.

Hello to all of you, wonderful family and friends!

I know I should have posted sooner, there is now so much to cover, but the reason for not doing so is part of our saga.  We lost - or it was stolen - a small carry on while we were trying to navigate the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris with our other 220 lbs. of luggage, (no, it didn't transfer automatically; we had to pick it up and haul it miles and miles, up staircases and down escalators and through turnstiles!) and it contained a little bag with all of our converters, chargers, connecting cords, etc.  When we arrived in La Reunion we had no way of hooking up to anything or to anyone, but now I THINK all of those problems are solved and we are back in the convenient world of technology and all it can do for us.

It was immediately obvious that we were half a world away from home as we stood at the sliding glass doors in our apartment  looking down the hill onto the city of La Reunion with the Indian Ocean glistening beyond, (no balcony, just doors and a railing to keep us from falling four stories to the concrete below) and hearing the Muslim call-to-prayer and also the bells from the Cathedral for Mass.  It was truly amazing to walk the streets here and see literally a melting pot of nationalities, religions, and cultures.  Some of our missionaries, from Tahiti and the West Indies, don't speak English; our branch president is Chinese; the branch members are from everywhere, speaking several languages, with only a few speaking any English.

Last Sunday we were warmly welcomed into the branch and we nestled into our seats for Sacrament meeting anxious to see how much we, I especially, would be able to understand of a meeting conducted solely in French.  After the branch president welcomed everyone and we sang and prayed, he again stood and announced that Elder and Sister Heap would now speak.  I sat there stunned and Brent nudged me and whispered, "Stand up and walk up to the microphone; you're speaking."  I really doubted whether I could stand up, I have no idea how Brent felt, but we did stand and were very blessed to be able to express - in French - very humbly some heartfelt emotions about being there as couple missionaries.

You are all in our hearts and prayers daily.  Au revior for now.

Lowlight of the Week:
Early in the morning,  I washed our sheets in our little washing machine and hung them on the railing to dry while we worked.  Short, but mighty, microburst of rain that day...so no dry sheets.  Oh well.

Highlight of the week:
 Soeur Heap:  A new sister missionary from the West Indies, Soeur Opeta, had an appointment to receive her patriarchal blessing.  She asked me to accompany her, and although I could only understand about a quarter - or less - of what was said, I felt the strength and spirit of both the blessing and the missionary.  What if I hadn't come?

Frere Heap:  Being invited to the St Marie Branch President's home for an incredibly delicious French Creole dinner and Family Home Evening with his ten-year-old twins.  Beautiful family!
  

The building visible above the trees is our apartment building.  
The first morning after our arrival we were, of course, wide awake at 3:00 AM wandering around our apartment, trying to get organized.  After a while, I noticed a slight glow out over the ocean and realized that we were going to see an Indian Ocean sunrise...This is what we witnessed from our apartment our first morning as missionaries!  

I rushed out after church to take a photo of some members.  No need to worry.  Everyone was gathered out under the palm trees, visiting, passing out cookies, enjoying catching up with one another...in no hurry at all to leave.  We could take a lesson here!

Again...just feeling the love!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brent and Joan, Loved the pictures and comments. We are happy for what you are doing and your enthusiasm, you are far, far away but not from our hearts. Keep up the good work Bugs and Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read your post and see the pictures. Of course it brought tears to my eyes as I looked at our dear friends busy doing what they have always done, serving the Lord. We love you and we are so grateful for your example. You are always in our prayers. Layne and Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joan and Brent, I hurried and tried to make a rI love Ieply to your wonderful blog, however I was confused about the way to send it. I did click on publish, but when I had Brad review on his I-pad he said it did not send. I was so very happy that you would call on my birthday. It is wonderful that you can keep in touch with others with this wonderful God given technology. I hope I can make my brain work so I can correspond with you. I love you, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joan and Brent, I hurried so fast that I didn't correct my errors, so I am writing a few more comments. Michele and Tracey's Quinn received his mission call to Frankfurt, Germany. That made us all cheer and we have done alot of reflecting on our experience there. Along with a new missionary, we have a new great-grand child. Tiny Emma was born to Stacy and Adam. Stacy belongs to Sonya. Emma came 10 weeks early she weighed only 3# 4 oz. She is doing well and is a month old and has gained a pound. Another miracle in our family. In my first reply I mentioned that I thought I would run up the street and see if you had called me from your doorstep. Your voices were so clear and I had a firm confirmation of the very wonderful work you are doing there. The pictures of the market place were beautiful and now I won't wonder what you are having to eat, but I know that lunch is not a the local McDonalds. Your surroundings are just beautiful. They are so beautiful that I guess you have to put up with your new house guests(ants and lizards). Whenever I see groups of missionaries gather, my heart is filled with love. From your comments I can tell that your apartment is a filling station for things physical and spritual. May our Heavenly Father continue to watch over you and bless you mightly. I love you, Barbara

    ReplyDelete